Thursday 17 July 2014

first play with wood .....

Tuesday morning of this week I was able to have some time with my friend Steph in her gorgeous bush hidden studio to have a play with wood prints.  Both of us are working on projects to do with our land in various ways and have been keen to use marks from trees that have been felled on our properties over the years.  I am keen to use these marking as overlays for etchings I am in the process of compiling to do with 'My Place' - Steve's and my acreage.  I am working toward doing about seven metres of printing with overlays which will then wrap around a corner of our living area.  This is all still in my head though much of the work I have been working on in the last little while has been a preparation for the kinds of marks I am wanting to make and use in this body of work.  I anticipate this project taking the best part of a year to complete so am in no rush.


This piece of fence post had been prepared by Steph by the time I got there.

I brought along a piece of laminated pine which I thought would be fun to play with.

The two photographed together and looking the best they did all day!

So after sanding with an orbital sander and then using a 1200 fine piece of sandpaper by hand, the wood was then burnt and then shellacked.  Being pine the wood burnt quickly and it was evident that this was going to print very graphically.
Which it did - image on the left, and so I did a few more overlay prints to try and make it more interesting.
 Which it wasn't!

This was my first pull from Steph's block and you can see my bad rubbing techniques (novice that I am).

Some over printing which looked way more interesting.  What I actually really love is the very delicate marks of the timber which reveal as fine white line.

I really like the cracks and lines in the timber.  In this exercise though I used an embossing needle to draw some of my own marks (the curly wiggly ones in the white space of the right) and have worked out that that is something I can do to 'own' the technique but make it feel more like me.

I like the softness of this edge - and you can see a few of my marks on that bottom edge.

Because we were working with water soluble ink, and given that I did not like the graphic pine prints at all, I decided to spray some water on the print and mess it up a little.

Much better!  I have worked out that if I do actually use some timbers where I get a really graphic ring pattern, I could actually then use a brush and bleed areas and soften then intentionally and work towards something wonderful.

I see much potential here for experimentation.



And then because I had sprayed water to effect on those former prints, I decided to spray the front of this print (the view is actually from the backside) which was quite a heavy print and held no charm for me.  The right side still looked uninteresting to me but when I turned it over, these gorgeous soft images emerged, with lovely soft bleeding edges and more evident markings which I had made.  None of this is finished work by any means but the morning's experimentation gave me plenty of food for thought and I can hardly wait to experiment some more.

I like this result and will work on making whole images like this.



11 comments:

  1. H S - well it looks like you and Steph had a lot of fun; and some delicious outcomes - some beautiful marks. You are so on to a great technique. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Barry. I think there is enough here to excite and drive me forward.

      Delete
  2. agree with barry. the images are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Velma - I am looking forward to seeing where I can take these images.

      Delete
  3. These are great, beautiful marks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When all is said and done, nature really does produce the best of all marks. We just try to copy ..... and have fun along the way.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating - especially your experiments with water. Lovely effects. You probably know of the prints and work generally of Bryan Nash Gill: http://www.bryannashgill.com/gallery.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great exploration - I love that you doing something unique and totally your own. I agree with you about those soft marks - sure to lead to something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sharmon ......I sure hope they lead me somewhere wonderful.

      Delete
  6. I do know the work of Bryan Nash Gill - in fact last week his Woodcut book which I had ordered arrived. My friend Ann Symes had sent me an article from a Printmaking magazine about woodcuts and his name was mentioned ..... research went on from there. I have worked out that for me, just getting the clarification of tree growth and design as he does so perfecto with his prints, is not for me. But using those techniques, I am trying to push in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments - thank you!